Social Services

Franklin County Department of Social Services

The Franklin County Department of Social Services is one of 120 local departments in Virginia’s public social services system. The Department is an agency of county government which administers federal, state, and local public assistance and social work service programs.

Board Meeting Notice

We are having a Closed Board Meeting on Friday September 17, 2021 at 12pm for 2.2-3711, a-1, Personnel at 120 East Court Street Rocky Mount VA 24151 Conference Room.

Department of Social Services Board Meetings are held every 4th Tuesday of the month at the Franklin Center, 50 Claiborne Ave., Rocky Mount, VA at 9:30 am unless otherwise noted.

Due to COVID-19, we are offering a virtual meeting option for our regular scheduled board meetings until further notice.  For more information on attending the virtual meeting, please contact Carol Callaway at 540-483-6138.

Rocky Mount Farmers Market to Accept EBT Cards

The Rocky Mount Farmers Market now accepts EBT cards. A Market Manager will be on sight to give out wooden tokens to spend and she will take that amount given out to the customer off their EBT cards. EBT cards must be brought with them. These Wooden tokens will then act as cash. Clients using their EBT cards can only go on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Notice of Closure for COVID-19

In light of current and ever-evolving circumstances associated with COVID-19, Franklin County Department of Social Services will be closed to the general-public beginning March 19. We are closing the lobby at the advice of local, state and federal guidance by practicing social distancing in an effort to protect our staff and our citizens. For now, we will be closed through March 31 and we will notify the public of any changes. A full staff is working to meet the needs of the citizens during normal business hours of M-F from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Family Services and Adult Services programs will continue to function as required per policy until any other directive(s) comes from VDSS. For after-hours CPS and APS concerns please contact the hotlines: for CPS is 1-800-552-7096 and for APS is 1-888-832-3858. You may apply for benefits online at, by phone at 1-855-635-4370, or for Medical Assistance only at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590). We will also have applications located outside the main entrance of every office for easy convenience.  There are also drop boxes located at every office for easy delivery. You may also request a self-addressed stamped envelope if you choose to mail.  Those offices are located at 120 East Court Street Rocky Mount VA 24151, 11161 Virgil H. Goode Hwy Rocky Mount VA 24151 and 1533 Franklin Street Rocky Mount VA 24151. For a replacement EBT card, you may call 1-866-281-2448 or you can call 1-540-483-9247 and speak to a staff member and we will coordinate getting you an EBT card here locally at the 11161 Virgil H. Goode location. Citizens may also reach staff by contacting their worker via e-mail or by phone. If you do not know your worker’s number, please dial 540-483-9247 and you will be transferred or you can access our dial by name feature.


Our mission is to protect the vulnerable, promote self sufficiency or maximum economic independence, and prevent negative social outcomes for the residents of Franklin County.


CommonHelp is a web-based system that allows Virginia citizens 24/7 easy access to screen and apply for:

  • Cash Assistance (TANF)
  • Child Care Services
  • Energy Assistance (Fuel, Crisis and Cooling)
  • Food Assistance (SNAP)
  • Medical Assistance


You can also renew your eligibility and report changes for all programs noted on the CommonHelp website.

Energy Assistance

The Cooling component of the Energy Program begins on June 15 and ends on August 16, 2021.  Applications for cooling assistance are accepted online at CommonHelp Website or by calling the Virginia Social Benefits Call Center at 855-635-4370, or 833-522-5582, or by visiting your local department of Social Services.

Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council Information

In accordance with federal law and U. S Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Director, Office of Civil Rights:
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Phone: 800-795-3272 (voice)
TTY: 202-720-6382

View more information on this policy.